Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Melting Glaciers


There are numerous effects of global warming such as heat waves, warm weather/wild weather. However, one of the biggest effects that global warming has seriously caused is glaciers melting not just in the United States, but worldwide. Not many people know that there is about 10 percent of the earth's land that is actually covered with glaciers. Not just that, but the glaciers hold 75 percent of the world's fresh water(Britt 2005). According to scientists on National Geographic, “The melt rate has accelerated dramatically since the mid-1990s, which was the hottest decade in a thousand years”(Boyd 2002).


No matter what part in the world, the truth is that ice is melting all over the planet. It is normal for glaciers to melt or shrink from time to time, yet when the glaciers start melting at a faster pace than they should be, something is definitely wrong. I cannot write about all of the glaciers that are melting throughout the world, but I did find some research online to give a brief overview on what’s happening around the world. According to a geologist named Lonnie Thompson told National Geographic News that Qori Kalis, a glacier in the Peruvian Andes, is melting the same amount of ice in one week when it actually used to take a whole year. Not just that, but the glaciers located in Alaska are also melting away quickly. According to glaciologist Anthony Arendt, Alaska is losing an average thickness of 6 feet per year. As scary as it is, the numbers of glaciers that have been melting are now 160,000 (Boyd 2002).


The thinning of ice is occurring all over the world such as Antarctica, Africa, Siberia, Montana, and even Venezuela. According to Time, since the last twenty years, Antarctica’s annual melt season has increased up to three years. Secondly, Africa’s tallest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro has actually lost about seventy-five percent of its ice caps. Since there is twenty-five percent of ice caps left in the mountain, there is a huge possibility that Mount Kilimanjaro could totally disappear in about fifteen years. Thirdly, eastern Siberia’s Lake Baikal has changed dramatically due to global warming from how it was a century ago. It is now being said that a century ago, winter used to occur at normal times. But now, winter occurs eleven days later in Lake Baikal. Along with that, Time has also predicted that Glacier National park will lose all of the glaciers by the year 2070. Lastly, the glaciers on Venezuelan mountaintops are also melting away. Until 1972 and now, there has been a decrease in the number of mountaintops in Venezuela. There are only two glaciers left on the Venezuelan mountaintops today when there actually used to be a total of six glaciers.


Unfortunately, these are only one of the consequences of global warming. According to the National Resources Defense Council, it is predicted that 63 years from now, which is the year 2070, all of the glaciers in Glacier National Park will be vanished. Also, if all of the ice was to melt, sea level would unsurprisingly rise to at least 230 feet (Britt 2005).It’s not just us humans who are being affected due to the melting sheets of ice which are causing rising temperatures, but also the wildlife (polar bears, penguins, seals, etc.) and plants.

References

http://www.androidworld.com/Ag_Upsala_Glacier.jpg

http://www.livescience.com/environment/050421_glacial_retreat.html

http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/fcons.asp

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/08/0821_020821_wireglaciers_2.html

http://www.time.com/time/2001/globalwarming/a.html

7 comments:

bryon said...

I can't believe how quickly the glaciers are melting. Also a lot of populations use the glaciers as thier only source of drinking water. How scary is it for them to know they are running out of water? Although a lot of people also say that the glaciers are just the last remnants of the ice age and they have always been in a constant melt. Either way a lot of people will eventually run out of water. Good job on the research, this was very interesting.

Bryon

N. McKenzie said...

I know about gobal warning, but I've been one of those people that really never took the time to think much of it. Now after reading this blog and taking a look at your hyperlinks, I really can't believe the rate at which the glaciers are melting? It kinda scares me that I was being so ignorant to the fact of what been going on surrounding gobal warning. You mentioned that this is some peoples only source of water, I wonder how they feel about it and if it scared them that one day they may not have any water?

I like your topic alot, verying interesting especially for somone like me, who hasn't really took the time yet to research gobal warning. Your doing a lot of reasearch and it shows. How did you get your hyperlinks end without the actually address because when I do them, its give me the address to post even after I use the hyperlink button.

Looking forward to your next blog.

Nikita

Ryan Pridgeon said...

Global warming is a funny issue, there have definitely been some strong arguments for both sides of the topic and the debate will not end until we have passed. The only one piece of evidence that will surely answer our question of global warming, and unfortunately this is one resource that we can never get enough of , time. The problem with these debates is neither side will ever be able to prove rather global warming is a myth or fact beyond a reasonable doubt. That being said urge you to not only investigate the supportive side of global warming but also research the information bent on disproving it as well. http://info-pollution.com/warming.htm This link will lead you to a list of various books, blogs and articles on the subject, while they may not change your position by knowing both sides of the argument you will be able to develop a more in-depth and well rounded debate.

Julie P.Q. said...

Kanwal,
This was just an excellent write-up; as you can see by the comments you're getting this week, people are really responding to both your topic and your smooth writing style. Great work here!

This information is frightening. I hope to see an entry before the semester is over about what we can actually do to help stop the effects of Global Warming. I'd definitely like to do my part!

William P. said...

I believe that global warming is effecting everything from extinction of certain species, to catastropic changes in weather patterns. It does become a little confusing trying to keep up with all of the different reports which range from sensational to apocalyptic. In the meantime glaciers still melt and sea levels continue to rise.

veronica kemble said...

First of all,this is a very well written blog, the research is absolutely amazing. I stared viewing your blog in class on Thursday, because I wanted to comment on it. I have been trying preparing for my trip and also making sure I don’t fall behind on my home work at the same time.
I can’t believe how many people depend on the melting glacier for drinking water. We as Americans take so much for granted. I am going back o an Island, where we had to go to a creek to fill buckets, a couple a days at a time. The hurricane season is big also in the Caribbean so I hope I make it back from my trip before one starts up.
I could not stop viewing you blog. When I view one of your links, the global warming also known as the global climate changes. It takes me back to when my in-laws were living in Pensacola Florida and finally lost every thing they own to one of those awful hurricanes. In viewing that link I could not help but notice it said Florida Department of Environment protection and the title page is pollutants and emissions sources carbon dioxide, I take it that is the leading cite? Your blog have so much information on the environment. I have been doing my part, but I have gathered so much additional information that I can use and also pass along to others. Keep up the great work, excellent blog

TOY said...

I like the topic of globel warning , your references are really good love the way you link lots of differents resourses. I understand a little bit more about globel warning. I did not have a clue at first its making sense know.