Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Introduction to topic!!

On the first day of English 112, we (students) were told to come up with a “newsworthy” topic to talk about and discuss throughout the eight weeks of class. Well, the first thing that came into my mind was “Global Warming!” Then I became double-minded and thought that “Unemployment Rates” would be something that I could discuss as well. Then, when I tried to think about what I would need to write for “Unemployment Rates,” it didn’t seem as if it was such a big issue compared to global warming. When I compared the two topics, I actually came up with more information about “Global Warming” then I did about “Unemployment Rates.” But then again, the first topic seemed to interest me more and I thought that there could be more of a continuous discussion on global warming. Also, I wanted to pick a topic that would not bore me or my classmates.
Now the main question, “Why does this specific topic interest me so much?” Well, Global warming does not only affect me or my family, but the entire world. This topic has always interested me because change is not taking place every day, but every second on this planet. There are major changes that are taking place today and I have always been curious to figure out how and why. Whenever I turn on any type of news channel, the greenhouse effect and global warming are issues that are talked about on and off.
What people don’t realize is that they say that they know global warming is occurring, but yet they don’t realize why global warming is occurring and what that means. Global warming is really a matter of great concern and unfortunately, it is looked at as a very light problem. The attention to this issue is not drawn, but now I have a full opportunity to provide little or at least some knowledge about this topic and I will take the advantage fully.

1 comment:

Julie P.Q. said...

Kanwal,

This is a good introduction--we get to see a bit into your decision-making processes, and you get to educate us on what global warming is. Next, I would love to see an entry that is "definition" in design and scope, so that you really define global warming in its multiple facets. I'm looking forward to reading more!